4 days ago, I posted an article on the movies about translation and interpreting. On Linkedin and Facebook, I got many responses and now, we have a long list of movies and full of new thoughts! Everybody is agree on our experiences can make a good movie 🙂 Even a friend said, my experiences are way too much for a movie… There should definetely more movies about translation but I do not know how the scenarists will hear us. Here is the new list, including the one I mentioned. Some may not be directly related to translation but the communication is largely carried out with the help of a ‘mediator’ (which happens to be translators or interpreters in many cases):
1. Lost in Translation: This is the best known movie in this area.
2. The Interpreter: It highlights the dangerous part of interpreting.
3. The Translator: One of the friends said this but I could not find a decent information about it.
4. Plus One: A Russian friend said it is Russian movie about translation.
5. The Woman with the 5 Elephants
8. The Translator
9. Fresh Suicide
11. Je l’aimais
12. El Pasado
13. Short the Translator
15. “Although the movies are not exactly about translation, translators/decoders play an important role in many movies. I can think, for instance, AVP, where a specialist was needed to read the signs left by an ancient culture. Indiana Jones also has some interesting sign/language reading, and Da Vinci Code. There are more, of course, but those came to mind. ”
16. And a funny Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bic0pTTXeNw
I hope we will see more movies about translation in near future. Thanks for your comments and contributions!
Visit our Facebook page